For those who know me, beer isn’t just about the drinking. It’s also about the brewing. I’ve casually brewed beer for years, only getting serious with my own setup a year ago. However brewing in front of a stove can be annoying especially when trying to brew 2 different batches at once. To make the experience better, I created a system that meets the following goals:
- A pair of electric kettles based on the system that The Electric Brewery creates, running off a dryer outlet.
- Variable power set with a knob, similar to a stovetop interface
- The ability to shut one side off for only brewing one batch
- Kettles that unplug from the system as to not disturb the other batch
- Running off a microcontroller that allows for future design improvements
- A quick and easy design, enabling fast development and implementation
I’ve got the entire system up and running, and it works great! I’ve already brewed one batch and I have plans for friends to come over this weekend to continue the fun. I’ve posted all of the design files at Element14, including a BOM (Bill of Materials) so anyone else can build, enjoy, and improve upon the system. Here’s a video of me showing it in operation: